This was all because of my Mom. She baked a pavlova for my sister THRICE a week one week and packed a slice for me to try. This, naturally, wasn’t enough, so I decided to bake a gigantic one for myself (and then another for when I had my friends come over). Since then, all I’ve been trying to do in the kitchen is to not bake another one (because I WILL finish it all).
Here’s the recipe. Just in time for the perfect weekend treat!
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 2 tsp white vinegar
- 400 ml whipping cream
- Blueberries (Shop N Save were selling them super cheap, about half the usual price, so you might wanna go look for some there.)
- Preheat oven to 150 degrees.
- Place egg whites in a big bowl, and whisk with an electric mixer (unless you want a work out) until stiff peaks form. (You can test by pulling out the beaters from the egg whites. You should be able to see tiny peaks that hold.)
- Gradually add sugar until mixture is glossy and stiff (again test by pulling out beaters – peaks will be much bigger this time).
- Add cornstarch and vinegar and whisk until combined.
- Line a baking tin with parchment paper or aluminium foil and grease with butter.
- Pour mixture into the baking tin. (I shape it into a round and make the top flat-ish.)
- Reduce oven to 120 degrees and bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- Turn off oven and allow pavlova to cool completely in the oven.
- Whisk cream and pour on the pavlova.
- Arrange halved/sliced strawberries and blueberries on the cream as desired.
Best enjoyed while watching the food network, an episode of The New Girl, or in the kitchen after it’s been chilled in the fridge overnight. (Eh now I want one.)